Mel Bartholomew – Introducing Square Foot Gardening

February 7, 2011 by Mario  
Filed under Gardening Tips

Square Foot Gardening (SFG) is a great way to convert that boring suburbia grass lawn into a sustainable produce isle. Don’t have a lawn? That’s cool- SFG can be done practically anywhere. Mel was kind enough to send me this DVD which gives a quick intro into SFG. This method is great for the absolute beginner who might be a little overwhelmed by starting that first organic garden. For more information, including including Mel’s popular book & instructional DVDs, check out:

Enter Google AdSense Code Here


25 Responses to “Mel Bartholomew – Introducing Square Foot Gardening”
  1. jimprice09 says:

    I have a question let say you use Mel’s mix…
    And put a condo for the worm…
    Would you have to change the earth after couple of year?

    Or the worm would be enough for fertilizing ?


  2. UnoRaza says:

    This is one of the reasons they came up with SB 510; too much competition for the corporate chemical “farmers”.

  3. patriotsrisenow says:

    love it best way to go buy the books i own all of them.

  4. Allen2045 says:

    I just checked out your book at the library. Read the 1st chapter then went on line and bought it at Walmart.

  5. Praxxus55712 says:

    Mel is in a league of his own when it comes to gardening. :)

  6. happymundo says:

    This is the BEST video on Square Foot Gardening…no BS just what we need to hear.

  7. OrganicTexas says:

    @xxnoangelxx I’m not Mel, but thank you for the awesome feedback!

  8. xxnoangelxx says:

    Mel you are my Hero! You changed my life. I have used your system for three years and I have marvelous results. It’s so easy! No back breaking work once you set up. I have change my diet built around my garden. I have improved my culinary skills . I am healthier and happier. With corporate farming controlling our food source and letting contaminates enter our food supply it’s more important than ever that you know your food source.

  9. pepperjoe12 says:

    Good stuff, Mel. Check out my YouTube Garden videos.

  10. bbbustedflush says:

    Well isnt this just wonderful. Im 60 years old and Mel just taught Ive been a gardening dummy all my life. But we always did it this way. Well no more. Thank you Mel. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

  11. speedproductions797 says:

    This guy who invented this program/system gardening invention is a genius.

  12. speedproductions797 says:

    Wow! That’s super extrmeley and awesomely cool!

    I’m going to buy the books!!!

  13. lheartlondon says:

    hi mel!!! i just bought 2 of your books. i luv it!!! thanks so much for all the info on gardening

  14. TnWormsCastings says:


  15. OrganicTexas says:

    hey ccm800… Mel’s book has a plant spacing guide so you space out the veggies & other plants appropriately in each square.

  16. ccm800 says:

    Doesn’t one plant shade out the other?

  17. donze52 says:

    might if you want to take the extra step, grow and use wild gourds. The leaves are the only plant that no bug will eat. so making a sun tea with the leaves means after you spay it on your plants–no bugs.
    if you are in the mood.

  18. imoveatparaderest says:

    You can also use small planting pots, a barrel or a small tub and grow things. Like I’ve got potatoes in a small barrel, and every time the plant gets to be about five inches tall, I cover it up 3/4 way with dirt, then it produces more potatoes, cuz it has to grow taller. Try it out for yourself.

  19. OrganicTexas says:

    I’m not Mel, but thanks! :-) Sounds like you’re doing great- keep up the good work. We need more of these Prosperity Gardens across the American landscape.

  20. kathyrclark says:

    Love your book. And love my raised garden beds in my back yard. We have eaten great veggies and fruit all summer.

  21. CyrusDawes says:

    Fun!!! [sarcasm]

  22. strasheep says:

    thats only 87%… what about the other 13% huh?

  23. godlikemicko says:

    mel bartholomew is going to save the world

  24. 19dcs93 says:

    i chose the old way becasue your optimise space if you do it right but these look very nice

  25. theblackhen says:

    We’ve been doing SFG for a couple years now and it is so much better than the old way. Lower costs (especially after getting started), less waste, less water, and a lot less weeding. I spend more time getting my crops ready for the table.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!